How we make Gin
How we make Gin:
- 380 Litre Kettle.
- 6 heating elements and a steel reflux column.
- 8 hours are required to distill one batch.
- At full production this makes 60 litres of 80% spirit per day in two batch runs. That’s 160 bottles of WISE spirits per day.
- We only use WISE WINE we make to distill into spirit – whereas almost all commercial stills use bulk ethanol manufactured in plants both here in Australia and from overseas.
- The wines are made specifically for distillation different to table wines this is a closely guarded secret so we can’t tell you how :/
- We use “Gingin” Chardonnay and other varietals – again this is a closely guarded secret.
- 9 litres of wine will give us 1 litre of 85% spirit.
- The wine is heated to 80 degrees C. The methanol then evaporates (that’s the dangerous bit) after the “Heads” are captured and discarded we capture the “Hearts” – this is the soft sweet aromatic alcohol perfect for our spirits.
- All our Gins are triple distilled a long and labour intensive process but the result is most certainly worth it.
For more information go to our Distillery page